Determining Eligibility for Identified Roles
As of 1 July 2016, determining eligibility for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs and services has changed.
Full details are available from the Office of Aboriginal Affairs (OAA) website: Communities Tasmania - Office of Aboriginal Affairs
This role is an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander identified role and as such confirmation of eligibility will need to be provided with your application in order to be considered for shortlisting by supplying a certified copy of the completed eligibility form available here: ELIGIBILITY FORM For Tasmanian Government Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs and services (aboriginaleligibilityregister.tas.gov.au)
From 3 October 2022, Department of Education has joined with colleagues in the Department of Communities to form the Department for Education, Children and Young People.
This is a Department built entirely for children and young people and their communities. Our ultimate goal is to work together to ensure that every child and young person in Tasmania is known, safe, well and learning.
The child is at the centre of everything we do and the way we do it.
In the short term, you may still see references to Department of Communities and Department of Education as we transition. We are working together to build our strategy and our culture and values. This work will be continuing into 2023, and we want all staff to be involved in this.
It's an important time to join a dynamic new department.
Assist schools to engage with Aboriginal community members, organisations and cultural resources in order to build their capacity to provide culturally responsive and inclusive learning environments that value Aboriginal students and Aboriginal culture, and actively promote Aboriginal student engagement, attainment and successful transitions. Support school communities and strategies to close the gap in Aboriginal educational outcomes and other relevant initiatives.
Period of Appointment
ASAP until 22 December 2023
Hours per fortnight
73.5 hours per fortnight
- The Head of the State Service has determined that this position is an Aboriginal Identified Position and that it can only be filled by Aboriginal people or Torres Strait Islanders in accordance with Employment Direction 10 Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment in the Tasmanian State Service.
- The Registration to Work with Vulnerable People Act 2013 requires persons undertaking work in a regulated activity to be registered. A regulated activity is a child related service or activity defined in the Registration to Work with Vulnerable People Regulations 2014. This registration must remain current and valid at all times whilst employed in this role and the status of this may be checked at any time during employment.
• Current Tasmanian Registration to Work with Vulnerable People (Registration Status - Employment).
A current driver’s licence.
Statement of Duties and a reference guide to assist with applying online can be found here:
Statement Of Duties (PDF)
Information for Applicants (PDF)
How to apply
Electronic submission of application is preferred, please click the 'Apply Now' button.
Applicants should forward/include:
- a statement addressing the selection criteria;
- a resume that contains relevant personal details and work history.
All applicants are required to supply a valid email address with their application for the purposes of email communication.
The cost associated with obtaining a Tasmanian Registration to Work with Vulnerable People (Registration Status - Employment) is the responsibility of the individual.
Applications should be made via the Apply Now button and submitted online by 11.30pm AEDT on the advertised closing date.
Should you have any difficulties regarding applying for this vacancy online, please contact Department for Education, Children and Young People, HR Recruitment and Employment via phone +61 3 6165 6285 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants needing more information are encouraged to request specific details of the vacancy from the Contact Person.
Name: Bobby Pedersen
Title: Manager Aboriginal Education
Phone: 0406 541 869