The primary focus of Medical Scientist – Cytology is professional involvement in the routine preparation and diagnosis of gynaecological and non-gynaecological cytology specimens for inpatient and outpatient services at the Royal Hobart Hospital.
The Medical Scientist – Cytology has a secondary focus of working in the Routine Histology laboratory when the workload of the Cytology department permits.
Note: - Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
Details of Appointment
Fixed term, part time, day work position, working 45.6 hours per fortnight, commencing as soon as possible for approximately 12 months.
*notwithstanding hours may be negotiated with the successful applicant
- Applicants should note that, for a period of twelve months from the date of publication, this selection process may be used to fill subsequent or similar full time and part time vacancies.
Salary: $64,072 to $98,027 pro-rata, per annum + 10.5% superannuation + access to salary packaging
You’ll have access to salary package a range of benefits including living expenses up to $9,010 + $2,650 in meal entertainment each FBT year + other benefits if eligible.
In addition, the following allowances calculated on the salaried incremental point may be available:
- Professional Development Allowance of up to $724 per annum or the ability to accrue funds for up to five years.
- Post graduate qualification salary advancement where applicable.
- Salary range is in accordance with the Allied Health Professionals Public Sector Unions Wages Agreement 2019
Successful applicants will be required to meet the essential criteria:
- Satisfactory completion of a Bachelor of Applied Science or Bachelor of Science from a recognised tertiary institution.
Applicants should note the following criteria are desirable:
CT(ASC) Competency Certificate in Gynaecological and Non-Gynaecological Cytology
ThinPrep Liquid-based Cytology Certificate of Completion
- Experience participating in a Fine Needle Aspirate Service
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- Conviction checks in the following areas:
- crimes of violence
- sex related offences
- serious drug offences
- crimes involving dishonesty
- Identification check
- Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
We encourage you to review the Applicant Guide and Statement of Duties, prior to applying for an overview of the duties, program, selection process and selection criteria.
How to Apply
Apply Online. Please click the "Apply" button on this screen. This ensures important questions about you are answered.
You will be prompted to complete a 1-2 page application detailing your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the attached Statement of Duties.
- We do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria in the Statement of Duties.
- All attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
- Referee details are submitted as part of the online application so make sure you have the contact details of two referees before applying.
For More Information
Medical Scientist in Charge – Cytology
(03) 6166 8235
The email account you provide when submitting job applications will be used in correspondence to you. It is important that this is kept up to date and monitored regularly.
To update your email address (or contact number), log in to www.jobs.tas.gov.au and look for “Existing applicant login” where you can update your details
The Department of Health values workforce diversity and recognises the value each person offers which is shaped by their unique characteristics, background, experiences, knowledge, skills, values and perspectives.