We encourage applications from Indigenous Australians, people with disability, people from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, mature age workers and lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTIQ+) people.
The Department of Justice supports reasonable adjustment requests in any stage of the assessment process to remove barriers and facilitate full participation in all aspects of employment for applicants with disability. If you have individual requirements that need to be accommodated in order to participate in an interview or recruitment activity, please inform the contact person listed for this vacancy.
We are a diverse and inclusive workplace and understand the importance of flexible working arrangements. Talk to us about how this could work for you.
Hours per fortnight
73.50 hours per fortnight - flexible options available.
- Assist the Public Guardian by acting as guardian or occasionally as administrator for persons with disabilities and advocate on their behalf when the Public Guardian is appointed by the Guardianship and Administration Board.
- Make applications to the Board as appropriate, primarily for the appointment of a guardian or an administrator or for the review of a guardianship or administration order.
- Submit reports on any matters referred to the Public Guardian by the Board and to intervene, as appropriate, in any proceedings before the Board or Mental Health Tribunal.
- Seek assistance in the best interests of any person with a disability from any Government department, institution, welfare organisation or service provider and influence systemic change in policies and procedures for people with disabilities.
- Assist the Public Guardian to arrange, co-ordinate and promote informed public awareness and understanding of the rights of people with a disability and provide authoritative advice, including policy advice, on guardianship issues and the rights of people with a disability.
- Assist the Public Guardian to investigate complaints or allegations of inappropriate guardianship, exploitation, abuse or neglect of persons with disabilities.
- Participate in an after-hours “on-call” emergency service. Assist with emergency investigations at short notice.
- Assist the Public Guardian to investigate, report and make recommendations to the Minister on any aspect of the Act.
- Current motor vehicle driver’s licence.
The Head of State Service has determined that the person nominated for this vacancy is to satisfy a pre-employment check before taking up the appointment, promotion or transfer.
The following checks are to be conducted:
1. Pre-employment checks
• Arson and fire setting
• Violent crimes and crimes against the person
• Sex-related offences
• Drug and alcohol related offences
• Crimes involving dishonesty
• Crimes involving deception
• Making false declarations
• Malicious damage and destruction to property
• Serious traffic offences
• Crimes against public order or relating to the Administration of Law and Justice
• Crimes against Executive or the Legislative Power
• Crimes involving Conspiracy
2. Disciplinary action in previous employment.
3. Identification check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
Statement of Duties (357245) Senior Guardian (May 2021).doc
Statement of Duties (357245) Senior Guardian (May 2021).pdf
Information for Applicants (DOJ) Short Form Application.docx
Information for Applicants (DOJ) Short Form Application.pdf
FAQs Short Form Application.docx
FAQs Short Form Application.pdf
How to apply
To apply, please provide a Short Form Application which is a 1-2 page covering letter outlining your experience, skills and knowledge as they relate to the Statement of Duties, and a copy of your current Resumé/CV.
Please note that we do not require a separate statement addressing the selection criteria.
Please apply online by clicking the blue 'Apply Now' button.
Refer to the 'Information for Applicants (DOJ)' document for further information. Please note, attachments must be in Microsoft Word or PDF format.
If you are unable to submit your application online, please contact the Department of Justice Recruitment Team on (03) 6165 4946.
For more information
The Public Guardian
Ph: (03) 6165 7560