$ 114,944.00 to $ 122,745.00 pro rata, per annum.
General Stream Band 8
Health and Human Services (Tasmanian State Service) Award
Period of employment / Hours:
Permanent full-time day work (part-time hours may be considered by negotiation)
DHHS - Office of the Secretary - Hobart
This position reflects the Department's commitment to providing our young people in care with meaningful participation in their care, and ensures compliance with the Children, Young Persons and Their Families Act.
- The Child Advocate - Out of Home Care (the Advocate) provides advocacy services for and on behalf of all children and young people in the care of the Secretary and ensures that children and young people in care have a voice in decisions that affect them and in services provided to them.
- Reporting to the Secretary, the Advocate advances their right to add value to and question decisions and actions that impact their lives as individuals, and contributes at the collective level to service evaluation and development.
Selection criteria includes:
- Demonstrated experience in client advocacy, preferably representing the views of children and young people within a human services context, together with experience in the delivery of services to children/young people with complex lives.
- High level interpersonal, communication, negotiation and conflict resolution skills, with the ability to develop and maintain effective and purposeful relationships with colleagues and government and non-government organisations, and to negotiate and work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to support the optimal operation of the service and maximise outcomes for clients.
- Proven capacity to operate with a significant degree of autonomy in a complex specialised environment with high levels of adaptability and flexibility, together with the high level ability to deal effectively with competing priorities, pressure and ambiguity.
- Note : - Please refer to the Statement of Duties for all the selection criteria of this position to address in your application.
- University acquired degree or diploma in a relevant field
- Current Driver’s License.
- Current Tasmanian Working with Children Registration.
The Head of the State Service has determined that the person nominated for this job is to satisfy a pre‑employment check before taking up the appointment, on promotion or transfer. The following checks are to be conducted:
- 1. Conviction checks in the following areas:
- a) crimes of violence
- b) sex related offences
- c) serious drug offences
- d) crimes involving dishonesty
- 2. Identification check
- 3. Disciplinary action in previous employment check.
Download the Statement of Duties and any Associated Documents
Statement of Duties (PDF) : 523734 Child Advocate - Out of Home Care Band 8 (January 2018) HAHSA.pdf
Statement of Duties (Word) : 523734 Child Advocate - Out of Home Care Band 8 (January 2018) HAHSA.pdf
APPLICANT GUIDE: DHHS Applicant Guide - Jobs Website .pdf
For more information (Contact Officer) :
Name: Frances Hall
Phone: (03) 6166 1596
How to apply:
Online applications are preferred - please click the blue 'Apply Now' button.
If you apply online: - Please do not send a hard copy application as well. - You do not need to upload an Application for Employment form.
- OR -
Complete the following application form and post your application to us at:
Recruitment Services - Human Resources
Department of Health and Human Services
GPO Box 125
HOBART TAS 7001
Application for Employment (Word).docx
Application for Employment (PDF).pdf
Better health and quality of life around Tasmania. Visit us at www.dhhs.tas.gov.au